Philip Sutton RA studied at the Slade School of Fine Art, London, from 1948 to 1953, travelling around Europe before returning to teach there from 1954 to 1963.
Sutton’s first solo exhibition was in 1956, followed by many others throughout the UK, including the Geffrye Museum, London in 1959, Retrospective at Leeds City Art Gallery in 1960, exhibitions in Newcastle, Bradford and Edinburgh in 1961 and at the Graves Art Gallery, Sheffield in 1971. In 1977, the Royal Academy of Arts held a retrospective exhibition of his work.
He has travelled extensively internationally to find inspiration for his vivid, technicolour paintings, from Australia and Fiji to Ireland and Wales.
Sutton was elected a Royal Academician in 1988 and lives and works in Pembrokeshire, Wales.